I wanted to chat a little about the associated lifestyle of a ‘successful’ email marketer. What can you expect once you make it online? Because getting rich online is by no means an easy task, but I find it is a very rewarding achievement. Although my success online has come quite swiftly, it was very difficult. The fact is most who try their hand at email marketing will fail. But for those who keep going, there are untold benefits.
Why start email marketing?
For most of us, the answer to this is simple. We want money. That’s what we say when someone asks us, anyway. I’m sure most of you are aware of the scalability of an online business and just how lucrative the internet can be these days.
Personally, I looked past the ‘money’ side of things. I went one further. Why do I want money? The answer was simple. Freedom. Making a living online is different to making a living in the real world. You can make 6 or 7 figures every year with a 9-5 job. But would you rather make $300,000 annually doing that or $100,000 annually with more free time than you know what to do with? These are just some of the benefits of being a self employed email marketer.
Benefits of Email Marketing
- You don’t have to get up at 5 in the morning for work!
- You don’t have to drive 40 minutes to work each day!
- You don’t have to wear a business shirt to work each day!
- You don’t have a fat, ugly boss to answer to!
- You can sleep in to midday if you want!
- You can spend most of your day doing the things you love!
- You can go on vacation more often without worrying about not earning money!
- You can spend more time with your family!
Now, of course these are just the benefits of becoming a ‘successful’ email marketer. It isn’t like this for those who are just starting out or those who fail. But hey, if the thought of getting paid to sip at a Piña Colada on a beach in the Bahamas tickles your fancy, that should be motivation enough for you to stick at it!
Sadly, the above is a lie. That’s only what email marketing looks like once you make it. For those people still plugging away, this is a more accurate version of things.
In reality, email marketing looks like this:
- No income for weeks or months.
- Minimal income for months or years.
- Risky income – not stable and could go at any moment.
- Long work hours for months.
- Lots of research and staring at a computer screen.
That’s what you get when you’re on the road to becoming a ‘successful’ email marketer. Not so glamorous now is it? Folks, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get out of that stage. The fact is, some of you will not be able to get out of that hole.
Some of you will be stuck there forever and won’t ever find success online. I’m not going to tell you anyone can do it if they keep at it, because I don’t think that’s possible. You need to be a certain type of person. If you fulfill the following traits, then you’re in with a chance!
- Able to disconnect from social life for long periods of time.
- Can look at an LED display for 10-15 hours on end.
- Doesn’t get distracted easily.
- Can go with minimal to no sleep for long periods.
- Completely dedicated and focused on success.
If that’s you, there might just be a glimmer of hope for your cocktail party on the beach after all! I want to chat lastly about the four principles I believe are absolutely vital to email marketing success. If you don’t have ALL of the following traits, you aren’t going anywhere. The good part is that anyone can acquire these skills if they try.
Prerequisites For Success In Email Marketing
- Take Action – If you cannot take action, you will never move closer to your dream of email marketing success. This one is obvious. It’s all well and good to read posts like these all day but if you never act on it, what’s the point? Is it to be able to tell your grandchildren you know a lot about email marketing? Or is it to say that as you drive them around in your Ferrari 350?
- Get Educated – No one can jump into email marketing and be successful without knowing what they’re doing. This is the part I was talking about earlier where you’re going to have to spend hours researching your market and various EM techniques. Finding the balance of research and action is important. Don’t take action unless you know what you’re doing. But at the same time, don’t try to get a doctorate in email marketing before having started your first blog.
- Work Hard – A lack of effort is what kills people sometimes. You know how I said you’d have to work for hours on end? It’s true. There’s a misconception of email marketing being the ’2 hours of work a day’ lifestyle. You might be lucky to only have to work for 2 hours a day after you achieve success. The process of automating your EM business is tough to say the least. However, in the early stages of development, there’s no escaping the thousands of man hours that await you.
- Persevere – Probably the biggest one. Some people start email marketing and then after a couple of weeks or months they stop because they haven’t made a sale or don’t have many subscribers. Of course, some of this comes back to how hard you worked, but it’s not always indicative of how many sales you make. It’s very possible to be well educated and to work very hard on the action you’ve taken and still take a while to get off the ground.
That’s all there is to it guys. If you’re willing to begin email marketing, you need to realize it ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a tough business to be in, but boy is it worth it. I’m in a unique position where I’m truly free to do whatever I want with the abundance of time I have. Financial freedom is one of the most liberating feelings. Getting paid to sleep, that’s priceless.
Let me know your opinions below in the comment box. Also share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, etc.