No! I don’t mean he wants to be the new owner of EmFastIncome.com
The question is simply this “What Would Seth Godin Do If He Takes Over The Management Of Your Blog?“
Seth Godin is no new name to most of us. He’s one of the figures that inspire a lot of people. He is an American author, entrepreneur, marketer, and public speaker. Wikipedia and the brain behind (founder of) Squidoo, a community website allowing users to create pages (called “lenses”) for subjects of interest
What Would Seth Godin Do is a wordpress plugin I want to talk about and what it does. The author of this plugin, Richard K Miller plugged his idea from one of Godin’s teachings. According to him, Godin advocates using cookies to distinguish between new and returning visitors to your site. Here are his exact words:
“One opportunity that’s underused is the idea of using cookies to treat returning visitors differently than newbies. It’s more work at first, but it can offer two experiences to two different sorts of people.” (Source: In the Middle, Starting)“
Buying Godin’s idea, Richard went ahead and developed a plugin that displays a custom message to new visitors and a different (optional) custom text to return visitors. I think this makes sense to me. I have seen this around on some blogs.
Here is what the message looks like.
If you are visiting this blog for your first time (after the installation of this plugin), I’m sure you already saw this message above.
According to the developer, new visitors will appreciate some context and background information about your site. This is your chance to offer them a special welcome and invite them to become permanent subscribers.
With just few (6) options, this plugins stands very simple to setup
- Simply type in the text you want displayed to new visitors. This is an HTML enabled text area. This means you can add hyperlinks, bold, underline, etc any piece of information you want to stress on.
- Now, you may not want this text to be displayed forever to the new visitor. In the demo above, it means this message will be displayed 10 times to the new visitor.
- Type in this field any message you want displayed to loyal readers.
- Simply set the location where to displayed the message. By default, this is set to below post titles or before post contents.
- Show the message on both Posts and Pages or Posts only.
- You may want to exclude this message from some post or pages. Just go ahead and paste the IDs in this box, separated by commas.
Is this plugin worth it?
I think it can work exactly as described. I have seen it on some blogs and have used it to signup to some RSS feeds.
After installing and activating the plugin, one of the things I quickly wanted to find out is how much weight this plugin puts on my blog. I will not want to sacrifice speed for something less. So I ran plugin performance scan. The result I got is nothing to worry about. It added 0.0012 seconds to my blog. How about that? Let’s see it in this image below:
You may want to try it yourself and see what results it brings.
Tracking clicks on the welcome text
I have decided to track the clicks I get from new visitors on the links in the plugin text. I’m using GoCodes plugin to count the clicks and redirect reader to the appropriate links. This will surely let me know how effective this is
Have you used this plugin before? Share your experiences with us in the comment box