Well, it looks like social media may be the only good strategy we have now. As many of you have already guessed, plenty of sites earlier this year were hit tragically because of their link building strategy. Bad links, link farms, and many other reasons were made because of the result of this Google update.
For three to six months now, people are scrambling around to make a change. It seems as though most people don’t want to accept the fact that some of the link building strategies that they are doing are just plain wrong now, and since you can’t beat a dead horse, a change must be made!
Is Social Media The Answer?
Honestly, I really don’t build links all that much. I will go into my personal strategy later, but I want to talk about the affect that social media has on your blog and what it can do to help it.
Millions of people use social media, which may be the answer to why link building may be dead!
Here is a quote from Best Rank:
It’s hardly a secret in the SEO world that Google is doing all it can to kill link building efforts. Over the past year and a half the search engine giant has gone to great lengths to modify its search engine algorithm with the sole intention of devaluing backlinks.
If this is true, and it seems as though it is, then there is another idea that we will have to tackle while thinking about our blogs in the future.
Social media IS the answer for this problem. Why? The search engines do not have any control over this medium which is one reason why you may want to re-think your social media strategy, and make it one that really attacks these platforms head-on.
Most people tend to see social media as a means to connect with others…and this is true in so many ways, however, it is not just for connection purposes only. Social media is a true means to get great traffic every day with.
Think about it. I’m not telling you to totally forget about your link building, because I still believe that commenting on sites in your niche still works, but all I’m saying is to take the time that you would put into article marketing and forge into social media sites.
I hope you’re still not doing article marketing!
If you are, you are asking for trouble! Any type of links that are built in this way can be trouble for your blog!
Social Media vs. Link Building
As I said before, there are just too many obstacles in your path when link building. As far as SEO goes, Google still wants your posts to link to other relevant sites, link to posts inside your blog, link here, link there…I want to go punch Matt Cutts in his ear, there is just so many things to remember, and then beat it all they take away one of the most powerful ways to get ranked to the first page of their precious search engine. Really, when you look at it, we are all just dogs, begging for scraps from Google’s table when we put all of our eggs in one basket.
It’s not that you can’t deliver killer content, but when you allow Google to control you with link building, you have already sold out.
Here are some pro’s & con’s to social media vs. link building
- You Have Control- In social media, you control it. you know that your content matter is being sent out to your followers and your friends, and since you make contact with these people for the “connections” as listed above, you already know that this post will get hits. With link building, you really just throw it to the wind. Especially if you are using what is now labeled as “Black Hat” methods with article marketing. You never know if you’re going to be sandboxed, and when or if, Google will de-value that link building company that you are working with.
- You Know It’s There- With submitting to social bookmarking sites and such, you know that your content has been counted. This is realized when a trackback is sent to you from these sites. As mentioned above in commenting, you never know if your comment will be approved. This is why it’s so important to READ THE POST and comment in a educated manner.
- Proven Traffic- Social sites have proven traffic. With millions of people logging in to the major sites like Facebook and Twitter, you know that you have a large potential to get as many of these people to your site as you can. Link building is more of a ranking thing. Yes, it can work out to major traffic in the end(if you do it right), but it is never guaranteed that anyone will see it. It takes literally thousands of links to some major keywords before people even see your link!
Let me re-iterate. I am not downgrading link building. I am merely pointing out that some link building strategies that you may be doing, may cause you trouble in the end.
With Google on the rampage, it may be better for a total re-vamp of your social media strategy as a whole!
Ok, I told you I would reveal my strategy with you…here it is…
The only link building, true link building that I do is commenting. There, I said it! Have I used article marketing services before? Sure. Do I use them now? Nope. The reason being for the answers above. I don’t trust Google…heck, I don’t trust any of the search engines. I believe that one day social media will be integrated into the Google algorithm in some way. This is why my main focus is on these social sites.
Forget about it. If you’re trying to learn how to blog like a professional, then all you really need to worry about is consistency. Keep giving your readers that great content, share it socially, and with time, you will come out on top. I have learned that worrying about building links just leads to ulcers and stress…plus it takes the fun out of blogging!
So what do you think? Am I wrong? I won’t get mad, really! What type of strategies do you use that actually work for you? Have you slowed down on link building already? Tell me your opinion…
You Might Also Like
- How to Increase Facebook Likes – Organic Tips
- How To Blog – 6 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging
- See How Easily You Can Wine and Dine with Influential Bloggers!
- 5 Ways To Make Money Online – You Haven’t Tried #4!
- Why Blogging Is Bad For You – Shocking Truths Revealed!